New LCPS Immunization Requirements for the 2021/2022 School Year
An email was sent out to Loudoun County Parents or Guardians of rising 12th grade students about the new immunization requirements for the upcoming school year. The email is below:
Dear Parents or Guardians,
In 2020 the General Assembly passed House Bill 1090. This bill amends the minimum vaccination requirements for students attending a public or private elementary, middle or high school (Code of Virginia § 32.1-46.A.4).
Effective July 1, 2021, rising 12th grade students are required to have one dose of Meningococcal Vaccine (MenACWY, Menactra, or Menveo) given at age 16 or older.
Please ask your private healthcare provider, or the health department, to review your student’s immunization record to ensure that they have received the Meningococcal Vaccine.
Twelfth grade students cannot begin school (in-person or virtual) on August 26th without documentation of the Meningococcal vaccine.
Immunization Appointments for rising seniors are available from the Loudoun County Health Department
Loudoun County Health Department
102 Heritage Way NE, Leesburg
703-777-0236 – Call for appointment
- Appointments available for Seniors on August 6, 13, and 20.
- MenACWY vaccine will be administered at no cost to the family.
Documentation must be provided to the school your student will be attending in the fall as soon as possible prior to August 26th.
Acceptable documentation includes:
- A copy of your student’s immunization record, signed/stamped by the provider, showing the date the immunization was given.
- A note on a healthcare provider’s letterhead stating the date the immunization was given.
- A healthcare provider’s written statement of a permanent or temporary medical exemption for a student who cannot receive the immunization due to medical reasons.
- A notarized Religious Exemption Form which is available on the LCPS website – Families – Student Health Services – School Health Forms.
If you have questions about these requirements, please contact Student Health Services at 571-252-1017 prior to August 11th. Beginning August 11th, the School Nurse will be available for questions in your child’s school health office.
Additional information can be found at this webpage: https://www.lcps.org/StudentHealthServices